Friday 28 November 2008

Let Us Be Thankful!

I had Thanksgiving with my housemates today and it was really lovely. Brittney, who lives across from me, is an American and she was feeling really homesick in the run up to it so we had the idea that we would have our own version. We couldn’t get a turkey so we made do with two chickens instead and Rob cooked it all with a bit of help on the whole veg peeling side from all of us. Then we all got dressed up and sat down to eat in Laura’s room, which was a double room and thus is massive. We had to borrow a table from the other kitchen as well but having 20 people round the table and eating together and giving thanks was really nice and Brittney seemed to really appreciate it. When it came round to her giving thanks she teared up and just told us all how lovely we were, which was nice and it earnt Rob (who cooked and is also her boyfriend) some major brownie points. I found it a bit scary carving two chickens for 20 people but I made a good go of it and much fun was had by all so thanks for teaching me how Mum and Chris!

It was really nice to share in what is essentially another culture, as well as making a good friend feel more at home and getting to eat all sitting round one table (well 3 pushed in an L shape) was just brill.

In other, unrelated news I donated blood today and was told my veins and blood count and general health mean that I can platelet donate from now on!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Well done to all of you - I think that was a lovely idea. Glad you were able to carve Rob (I hope better than me lol!!)