Friday 5 December 2008

Wired!

Its Midnight as I write this and I Can’t sleep. Normally I wouldn’t be thinking of sleep for at least another few hours, but I know it will be hard to come by tonight and I am honest to god tired as well. Unfortunately I am also wired in the mind as well and have a case of the jitters a junkie would be proud of. How did I reach this most in-between and odd of states is a tale of its own.

Wednesday nights are always lively for me as anyone who has ever had more than a cursory glance at this blog has probably worked out for themselves. That is the day that I go out with the guys and gals from Ben Lairig the uni’s hill walking club. This Wednesday was no different; we set off from campus with the idea of sampling a few pubs before going on to a bar were some friends were playing a charity gig in aid of Asian bears or something.

We got to our usual first stop, the Rook and Gaskill just outside of the city walls and then didn’t leave it till the gig started at 11, all other thoughts of moving on having fled from our minds when we discovered that they were in the midst of a real-ale festival and had a boggling 30 beers on offer. However the star of the evening was a lethal cider called Moonshine that was about 7.5% but tasted like apple juice, no hint of its true nature and a warning on its pump to boot! So things got lively….again and we went to see some quality local bands then we all stumbled home. (I almost got lost again but managed to turn round within the city walls this time so there is proof that I had learnt a lesson there)

A lesson I seemed doomed to never learn however is that a lot of alcohol means a hangover and I woke up with one of near biblical proportions this morning. I dragged myself to my pre-paid breakfast and while it didn’t hurt it certainly didn’t help either. Then out of nowhere my phone alerted me to a text “Red Bull 30p with today’s telegraph it proclaimed” So off I ran to the Uni shop and got 3 telegraphs (we are going to use them to wrap our presents in) The 3 I had over the hour took the edge off of my headache but also skewed my decision making process as when my friends got back and found out about the offer they ran off to get some too. And so did I, 4 in fact with the mistaken belief that if 3 Red Bulls made me feel a bit better then 4 more should ‘cure me’

They did.

But they also gave me the jitters and affected me to the point were they seemed to slow down time and I am also wired more than I have ever been. And it seems there is no near end in site. My body is exhausted but as the length of this shows my mind is no were near ready for bed. Another lesson learned I guess! Never buy lots of Red Bull just because it’s free with the 30p telegraph. And if you do there’s no rule that says you have to drink it all at once.

No comments: