Thursday 7 May 2009

Quick, and lazy update

Here is an extract form my field diary as it is the easiest way to update you guys as I now find myself super busy

Day Two

I was at the church in Micklegate again today, weather was not as good as the first day and so while it was undoubtedly more productive as things were no longer new it was not as fun. Did some more elevations today, I found it a lot easier to get going on the second day as there was no need to learn how to do it. Finished our section early and then started theodolite work (laser measuring) as well as learning how to rectify a photo so that the angle that you took it at doesn’t affect the scale.

An update on the grave I was researching. William Watson had a shop on Micklegate itself so he would have worked very close to the church that he was buried in. However no other information has come to light and it looks like anything else will be much harder to find.

Day Three
Resistivity measurement was the focus of today, out at the Heslington east development. Weather was much nicer today. I found the whole thing very interesting and can see why it is a useful evaluation tool for an excavation. Once you get going down the lines it is very easy to just get in the zone and you can have done over a kilometres worth of results before you realise.

You can also get very sunburnt

So there you are, other news in my life is that MovieSoc, the society that Will and I founded is now all official and ratified. We had our first committee meeting on Tuesday after our final meeting with YUSU, so its all good.

Off to Scotland tomorrow for a weekend in Glencoe with the Ben Lairig chaps

No comments: