Saturday 16 May 2009

Keep on ticking by!

First I’ll put up my field work diary, then I’ll add the more personal stuff at the end.

Field Work Diary Day 4

Today was the second day of survey work for me, focusing on using and picking up on the changes in the magnetic field of the earth to try and find features in the ground. Magnetometry is brilliant as it can pick up things that are not there any more but were at one time such as trenches and post holes.

The whole day was really good fun and very informative. I found that I had the knack of walking at the speed of the beeps down perfectly which was nice. Apart from spending the day in shorts while being up to my waist in nettles and thistles (due to the rule that you have to have no metal on you when you do the survey) the day was a good one and taught me that although survey can be a little repetitive in nature it can also be enjoyable as well as useful.

No comments: